Children's Rights Service - Derby

Three young people with arms round each other

How we can help

teenage boy using his phone

Independent Advocates

Your Independent Advocate can come to your review to support you to say what you want. They will ensure, whenever they can, that your views are heard and taken into account.

Advocacy is about empowering children and young people to make sure that their rights are respected and that their views and wishes are fully considered and reflected in decision making about their own lives. The Children Act says children and young people must be treated with respect; advocacy ensures that children and young people are supported if they wish to make a complaint about a service they are
receiving, or if they would like support to ensure their wishes and feelings are being heard.

Young people playing football

Independent Visitors

You can have an Independent Visitor until you turn 18. Independent Visitors meet with you once a month and you can decide, at any point, if you don’t want to see them anymore. To make sure you have an Independent Visitor who is right for you, we look at what you like doing and what you don’t and try to match you with someone who has similar likes and dislikes.

Lots of different people are Independent Visitors; individuals - both men and women - of all different ages and from all different backgrounds. If you are a child or young person in care you may be eligible for an Independent Visitor - ask your Social Worker about this. Independent Visitors are adults who give up some of their free time to support children and young people who live with a foster family or in residential care. 

Contact us

If you'd like to find out more about what we do and how we can help you, please do get in touch.

Telephone: 07809 587007

Email: [email protected]




For NHS professionals who want to submit a referral on behalf of a young person please email [email protected]


Request for Independent Visitor Service

Formal referrals for an independent visitor must be made by the young person’s social worker.  If you are a social worker and would like to make a referral on behalf of a young person for this service please complete and return this referral form.

Download the Independent Visitor Service Referral Form

Find us:

  • Halliday House
    2 Wilson Street
    Derbyshire DE1 1PG

Opening times

  • Monday 09:00 - 17:00
  • Tuesday 09:00 - 17:00
  • Wednesday 09:00 - 17:00
  • Thursday 09:00 - 17:00
  • Friday 09:00 - 17:00
two hands icon

"I need help in meetings, I just nod my head and people think I understand but I don’t – my advocate could explain everything to me"