Stoke and Staffordshire Children's Rights Service

A man and a child at a skatepark

What is an advocate?

An advocate:

  • Will listen to you
  • Will help your views, wishes and feelings are heard
  • Can go to meetings with or for you
  • Will explain what your rights are
  • Can help you to make a complaint
  • Is independent - this means they are not part of other services like social care, education or health.
  • Won't give their opinion or tell you what to do.
  • Can see you at home, school, college, or wherever you feel most comfortable

This service is confidential and free.

two hands icon

My advocate helped me say what I wanted to in my meetings and explained things to me so I could understand.

Who can have an advocate?

You can have an advocate if you are aged between 5 and 18. You'll also be from Stoke-on-Trent or Staffordshire and are a looked after child, have a child protection plan or have a child in need plan.

If you are aged 5 - 25, from Stoke-on-Trent or Staffordshire and have a special educational need or disability or are a care leaver, you can also have an advocate.

If you aren't sure, email or call us and we can help you.

Contact us

Phone: 07809 587007

Email: [email protected]



Anybody can make a referral for a child or young person to have an advocate, as long as they have their consent. 



For NHS professionals who want to submit a referral on behalf of a young person please email [email protected]