How do people consume alcohol?
- Also known as
- Booze, Bevvy
- Type of drug
- Legal drug
Some people think alcohol is a stimulant because it makes them feel happy and lively and reduces their inhibitions. However, alcohol is a depressant which slows down your reactions and your ability to think clearly.
- Drinking moderate amounts of alcohol may not be harmful and may even have a beneficial effect in reducing risks of coronary heart disease and stroke.
- Drinking too much (anything over the recommended daily limit) can have a number of health risks for you and others around you.
- Health risks include cancers, heart problems, high blood pressure, stroke, liver disease, falls and other accidents and potentially becoming the victim of crime.
- It is illegal for anyone under 18 to buy alcohol.
- The police can confiscate alcohol from anyone under 18 and may prosecute under 18s who drink in public places.
- There are laws governing the limits of alcohol that can be consumed when driving.
- Get help for yourselfExpand this menu
- Help someone else
- Drug and alcohol informationExpand this menu
- Moving to CGLExpand this menu
- Real stories